At SAGCOT Centre Ltd (SCL) we are excited about the transformative power of agriculture and are constantly looking for like-minded individuals and organisations interested in bringing the SAGCOT Initiative to its fruition.
SCL is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants interested in building a career with us to apply for positions in employment, consultancies, tenders and internships.
Do stop by regularly to check for any opportunities which may be of interest to you.
Thank you for your interest in SAGCOT Centre!
For any additional information please contact us on email@example.com
SCL wishes to appoint an individual to provide company secretarial services on a retainer basis to ensure full regulatory compliance and good corporate governance and to provide administrative support to ensure Board operations function smoothly. The Legal Advisor / Company Secretary shall, therefore, be responsible to manage and coordinate the Board’s affairs including legal services of SAGCOT Centre Ltd (SCL). The Consultant is expected to operate in line with the board charter, and other relevant documents. The Consultant shall report directly to the SCL Chief Executive Officer (CEO) but administratively to the SCL Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- Contract Duration
The performance of the service will be in Dar es Salaam, at SAGCOT Centre Ltd for a period of one year. This will commence from the date the contract is signed.
- Tasks to be Performed
The specific responsibilities are as follows:
1. Board Affairs / Corporate Governance
- Prepare Annual General Meeting and Board of Directors’ Meeting agenda in consultation with the Chairman, CEO and COO of SCL, coordinate and attend the Board and other committee meetings as Secretary to the
- Send meeting notices to all members of the Board, Funders Representative and all relevant Committee members, as applicable.
- In coordination with SCL secretariat, draft, finalise and maintain records of the Board meeting minutes and Matters Arising.
- Unless otherwise decided by SCL, coordinate and attend Board Committee meetings and be responsible to take meeting minutes, review the minutes with the secretariat and circulate the same.
- Advise SCL Senior Management Team (SMT) and the Board of Directors on all legal matters for their appropriate decisions.
- Provide legal advice to the Chair of the Board and the CEO in the exercise of their duties.
- Promptly report and advise on conflicts of interest in accordance with SCL policies and the Code of Conduct.
- Advise members of the Board on their responsibilities, including their fiduciary obligations.
- Periodically assess governance practices and Directors’ performances and recommend ways to improve their performances.
- Maintain all corporate records and document all corporate decisions.
2. Compliance Requirements
- Ensure that SCL meets the statutory compliance requirements under the Companies Act and other relevant laws including renewal of business licenses and updates of other important documents required for SCL’s business as a going concern from the regulatory authorities.
- Ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, SCL policies and principles of good corporate governance including Board Charter by the Board and SCL SMT.
- Liaise with the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and the Head of Accounts and Finance to facilitate annual tax
- Ensure that quorum requirements are met and that decisions are adopted in accordance with applicable laws and SCL legal documents, approved policies and manuals during the board and all its committee meetings.
- Review internal documents and policies to ensure they are drafted in accordance with applicable law.
- Review contracts and documentation used in conducting its business of brokerage, as requested by the Centre.
- Stay abreast with changes in applicable agribusiness and policy laws, regulations and timely communicate such changes and updates to Board, Management and relevant staff.
- Prepare annual returns and filing with the Registrar of Companies, BRELA, TRA and Ministry of Agriculture and other relevant Authorities.
- Maintain statutory records of the company i.e. Minute Book, Register of members, directors, debenture and other charges.
- Advise the Board of Directors on matters relating to procedures and legal requirements with respect to changes in the company’s shareholding, memorandum and articles and conducting of meetings by adhering to the internal regulations and legislation.
- Review SCL legal status in relation to Tax compliance and Exemption procedures as recommended by external and internal auditors and Audit Committee (Income Tax and Exemption Certificate).
- Prepare resolutions with respect to various changes in the company that require board approval.
- Notify the Registrar of Companies and other regulatory authorities on various changes in the company.
- Ensure the Centre’s copyright is protected within and outside Tanzania.
- Non-routine company secretarial services and provision of legal advice on all other matters relevant to SAGCOT Centre Limited as will be requested from time to time.
3. Legal services
- Provide legal functions to the SCL as and when required.
- Represent SCL in any lawsuit; the legal process, mediation and arbitration.
- Provide the board with legal advice on any matters requested by the SCL Board and the management.
- Implement the instructions of the SCL Board of Directors concerning the legal aspects of the operations.
- Provide support to the SCL, especially to the Human Resources, to ensure compliance with labour and employment obligations as an employer. This includes registration with local authorities and entering into employment contracts drafted in accordance with the local law that protect the interests of the Centre.
- Provide legal opinions based on local laws regarding various aspects of the operations of the Centre.
- Identify legal risks associated with the operations of the Centre and propose mechanisms to mitigate them.
- Stay abreast of the laws and regulations applicable to the Centre’s operations.
- Any other legal related services of
4. Custodial Function
- Act as custodian of the important documents of SCL including:
- Articles of Incorporation;
- Certificate of Incorporation;
- Company Seal; and
- Statutory registers of SCL.
- Maintain a record of original minutes of the Board meetings and Board Committee meetings.
5. Travel requirements
Availability to travel (5% of the time).
- Bachelors Degree in Law (LLB) from a recognised University;
- A Post Graduate qualification in Law from the Tanzania School of Law;
- A Masters Degree in Law, Business, and or a related field is an added advantage;
- An Advocate of the High Court of Tanzania;
- Valid membership to the Law Society of Tanzania;
- Certified Public Secretary of Tanzania CPS (T); and
- Valid membership to the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Tanzania (ICPST).
Previous experience minimum of 15 years’ in managing/serving as a company secretary or legal advisor/ Company Secretary function, incorporate, public and international development organisation spaces.
4.3 Language requirements
- Fluency in both written and spoken Swahili and English languages is required.
4.4 Additional skills required
- Strategic perspective
- Leadership and people management skills
- Sound decision making and judgement skills
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Negotiation and good interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Planning and organisational skills
- Attention to detail and quality orientation skills
- Exposure to best practices in Board management and governance
- Proficiency in MS Suite of packages.
- Advanced IT skills to manage and oversee the use of EBoard system
- Excellent writing and typing skills for minutes’ preparations
- Quality Assurance Reviews of the Assignment
The Consultant shall ensure that the execution of the assignment conforms to the Standards for the Professional Practice of Law. Such work may further be subject to external quality assurance as may be considered necessary.
- Selection of Consultant
Selection of the suitable consultant will be based on Consultant Qualifications selection procedures as per the SCL Procurement Manual.
- Interested consultancy (firms or individual) must provide information demonstrating qualification to perform the services by submission of the following necessary information:
- Legal status and profile including certified copies of registration/incorporation, licenses, valid tax clearance.
- Professional affiliation supported by a certified copy of certificates of professional /registration/testimonials/accreditation.
- Meet all the required qualifications and experience as outlined in the terms of reference accessible in the SCL website (the CV will be expected to be delivered as an attachment).
- Track record of a successful undertaking of a similar assignment. Please provide recommendations letters with contact details, the name of the employer, summary of the assignment performed.
All hard copies of Expressions of Interest should be prepared in three copies; one original and two copies properly marked ‘original and copy’.
The outer envelope shall be marked “provision of consultancy services for Legal Services” to be submitted before or on 1st March 2019 5:00 PM to:
Procurement Unit, SAGCOT Centre Ltd, 5th Floor, Ikon Building, Plot No. 153, Bains Avenue, Masaki, P.O. Box 80945, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- Electronic applications are also accepted via procurementTZ@sagcot.co.tz.
- SAGCOT Centre Ltd may cancel solicitation and not award. The Centre may reject any or all responses received.
Chief Executive Officer,
SAGCOT Centre Ltd
Ikon Building Fifth Floor
Plot Number 153, Bains Avenue, Masaki
P.O. Box 80945
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Tel: +255 22 260 1024/ 255 22 260 0146
- Objective of the Assignment
This is a temporary position of an Office Administrator at the SAGCOT Centre Ihemi Cluster Office in Iringa region. The holder of the position will serve as a temporary replacement for the existing office administrator on 5-month maternity leave.
2. Scope of the Assignment
The Office Administrator will work under the Ihemi Cluster Coordinator and is expected to accomplish and support in the following capacities:
Communication, Documentation and Planning
- Manage the front desk which includes receive and direct visitors to appropriate offices
- Receive, direct and relay telephone and e-mail messages
- Maintain a general filing system of all correspondence
- Organise, document and archive relevant documentation, keep files complete and up-to-date. And maintain quality and accessibility of archive and files, in conformity to administrative procedures and filing procedures
- Type and prepare internal and external correspondence
- Organise logistics for meetings/conferences and workshops
- Manage the calendar by updating and communicating the same to the entire team in partnership with the communication unit
Cluster Finance Administration support
- Record financial transactions according to instructions from Head of Finance at headquarters in Dar es Salaam, and in accordance with SCL accounting procedures
- Monitor all financial transactions and ensure its according to donor and SCL authorisations and procedures, especially the procurement regulations
- Follow up on Cluster related receipts and payments, reconcile bank balances, prepare financial transactions and manage liquidity levels of the Cluster, based on guidelines of the Donors, head of Finance and SCL accounting procedures and internal control framework
- Manage petty cash and supplier payments in accordance with agreed SCL procedure
- Procure goods and services by raising requisitions, issue goods received notes, and file all documents as per SCL Procurement Manual and guidance from the Head of Administration and Procurement
- Responsible for the office stores’ management and ensure monthly reports are prepared, and duly signed off
- Ensure a proper supply of utilities to the office (water, electricity etc) stationery and other consumables
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly inventory and asset registers reach the Head of Administration and Procurement
Human Resources Administration
- Process the Cluster timesheets for all staff and assist the Cluster Coordinator in monitoring the monthly programme time writing as guided by IT Coordinator
- Ensure workspace cleanliness and organisation
- Ensure compliance with workspace health and safety policies
- Ensure timely maintenance and repair of all equipment reported as not working
- Perform fleet/vehicles management by ensuring fleet report and overtime processing for driver(s)
- Support the Cluster Manager and Head of Cluster in all general administrative work as assigned from time to time.
4. Duration of the Assignment and reporting requirement
The assignment is expected to be carried for a period of 5 months.
5. Minimum Qualifications
The following are criteria for selection for a successful candidate for this short term appointment
i. Bachelor degree in any of the following fields; Business Administration, Human Resources, Public Administration, Materials Management or Office Management, procurement and any social sciences.
ii. At least two years of work experience in a reputable organisation similar to SAGCOT Centre Limited.
iii. The successful candidate should be able to effectively communicate in English and Swahili.
iv. The successful candidate should have computer skills, especially in MS Office.
- How to Apply:
Interested and eligible candidates should submit their applications via Jobs@sagcot.co.tz with the following subject line “Short Term Contract –Office Administrator”. The application MUST include:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV) with email and phone details (not more than two pages)
- A Motivation letter to justify consideration for the position
- At least one reference letter from a previous employer of the reputable organisation worked; and signed by the Head of the organisation.
Your application must be received by 5.00 pm on Friday 20th February 2019. Interviews will be conducted on 21st February 2019. The successful candidate is expected to report on duty Monday 26th February 2019.
SAGCOT Centre Limited values diversity and recruits its staff based on merit. We will contact only shortlisted candidates.